Meerendal Wine Academy
Meerendal Wine Academy offers volunteers the opportunity to experience all aspects of wine making from the vineyard to the cellar, official wine tasting courses and working on a top class wine estate.
Only 20 minutes from Cape Town, Table Mountain and nice sandy beaches, it is the perfect location to learn all about wine.
Enjoy the annual harvest with Cellar Master Liza Goodwin and Cape Wine Master Bennie Howard and share their passion on a journey through the romantic world of wine.
Practical concepts in the wine production process include early morning picking of grapes in the vineyards and transporting them to the cellar. Berry selection and crushing, prepping for fermentation, manual punch downs and daily monitoring of the fermentation process are done in the cellar. Basic laboratory work, different wine tastings and a blending session form part of the practical experience.
Wine making techniques are further enhanced with lectures in “South African Wine” tasting courses.
Dates & Prices
Course 1: 11 – 16 February 2018
Course 2: 18 – 23 February 2018
The Meerendal Wine Academy will start on Sunday in the late afternoon and will be finished on Friday evening after the Certificate Presentation.
Price: EUR 400.00
Accommodation to Meerendal Wine Academy students at reduced rates. To receive more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Each morning during breakfast volunteers will meet to discuss the day’s responsibilities and activities. From here participants will be split into groups, each having different daily tasks in either the vineyard or cellar. Furthermore volunteers will attend wine tasting lectures presented by Meerendal Cape Wine Master Bennie Howard.
Wine Academy Certificate
On successful completion of the course, volunteers will be rewarded with the Cape Wine Academy Certificate and Meerendal Wine Academy Certificate. The Cape Wine Academy (www.capewineacademy.co.za) is recognised as the official wine education and training institution in South Africa.
- Sterilization of picking shears and picking baskets
- Sampling of sugar levels in the vineyards to pick at optimum ripeness
- Picking and transporting of grapes to the Cellar
- Early morning prepping of the cellar
- Receiving grapes from Vineyards
- Berry selection of red grapes
- Mechanical crushing of berries and prepping of crushed berries for the fermentation process
- Adding of yeast to start the fermentation process
- Manual Punch down of grapes in open fermenters
- Daily monitoring of fermentation process, including checking temperature and sugar levels
- Pressing after fermentation is finished
- Assist with transferring wine between tanks and barrels
- Top up of barrels
- Daily sanitization of tanks and cellar equipment
- Basic Laboratory work including sugar, pH, acidity and sulphur readings
During the week, volunteers will have lectures in the afternoon, each lasting approximately three hours.
‘The South African Wine Course’:
This Wine Course is an introduction to South African wine, wine origins and how to identify and compare wines through taste, sight and smell. It is a fun and informative course designed to enhance your appreciation of wine by equipping you with the basic skills in identifying and appreciating South African wines.
During the course of the lectures, students will learn about grape varieties, how to taste and what to look for in a wine and the art of blending of wines. How to store and serve wine will also be covered. The lectures will include more on how to grow vines, harvesting of quality wine and wine making practices.
All lectures include practical wine tastings.
A theory examination of 60 minutes completes the course.
*Please fill-out the application form on page 8 and email it to email@example.com.